This majestic c.1894 Victorian home is beautifully sited on a half acre, surrounded by stone walls at the edge of Sewall Woods and anchoring a distinctive Highlands neighborhood, convenient to everything. As with past Owners, current Owners were passionate about the house from the moment they saw it. They envisioned a home they would enjoy for decades (never anticipating that a 2019 opportunity would re-route them!), and designed a two-phase renovation to what was already one of the many notable homes in Melrose.
Beginning in 2017, they embarked on phase one, replacing heating systems, electrical, plumbing, installing AC, refinishing floors, walls, woodwork, and creating a truly stunning modern bath; all of this capped by a superior residential metal roof system, known for high efficiency and longevity. The 3rd floor, planned to be a fabulous Master Suite, is roughed and ready for finish work, with plumbing, electrical, HVAC in place, walls and ceiling foam-insulated. With phase one complete, it is now ready for next Owner to impart their vision to the areas that remain open to possibilities.
With outstanding design, materials and craftsmanship to every surface – both old and new – this circa 1894 Queen Anne style home is a showcase for elegant, modern living, indoors and out. An expansive wraparound porch provides wonderful opportunity for year round dining, parties, or quiet solitude. Enjoy cocktails on the patio, surrounded by lovely garden beds, wisteria, and a large private yard with mature trees. The extra large 2-bay garage sports a matching metal roof, and driveway provides generous parking area, where you can leave your cars and wander to the Highlands for dinner, shopping, library, or hop on MBTA commuter rail (Melrose Highlands or Cedar Park) for a quick ride to Boston. Melrose schools are also close by and easily accessible from this excellent location, and the naturalist has only to cross the street to enjoy 9 acres of nature in Sewall Woods, with walking trails, a hidden vernal pool, and year round beauty.
A grand Victorian home, with significant and high quality updates complete, yet still opportunity to make your mark, occupying a dramatic half acre site, adjacent to beautiful park land, and within 20 minutes of Boston… Once in a while a unique opportunity presents itself, and this is one. $1,290,000
baths: 2 (one full bath, one 3/4 bath)
size: 3438 sf, per public record
(Recent measurements estimate approx. 4185 sf gross living space, including approx. 1083 sf on 3rd floor, ready to be finished.) Buyer to verify measurement estimates.
basement: 1346 sf additional space in basement, per public record
fireplaces: 1 in living room, 1 in 2nd fl bedroom, 1 decorative fireplace in dining room, where chimney has been removed. Seller has not used any of the fireplaces.
heat: 2 zones FHW radiators by gas (1st & 2nd floors), 3rd floor is set up for 3rd zone by FHA
cool: 1 zone AC on 2nd floor, 3rd floor is set up for additional zone
hot water: indirect, 120 gallon tank
electrical: upgraded electrical, 200 amp, circuit breakers
water/sewer: public, sewer line under house replaced in 2017
roof: ENGLERT aluminum standing seam IR reflective roof, rubber membrane over porch, gutters over porch and on driveway side of garage
siding: wood shingles
garage: 2 large bays totaling approx. 460 sf, ENGLERT aluminum standing seam IR reflective roof
parking: 6 off street, paved driveway
lot: 21,642 sf
garden/patio: raised beds and professionally landscaped patio beds w/irrigation, mature trees
porch: wraparound covered porch with dining area, lighting, multiple seating areas
year built: circa 1890, per public record
assessed value: $1,118,800
address: street address is 46 Upland, driveway and receiving entrance are at corner of Glen Road and Sewall Woods Road
- 3rd floor has been prepared for remodel, w/new plumbing, electrical, insulation, HVAC in place, and is ready for future completion – will convey as is.
- 2nd dishwasher in Butler’s prep area is not working – will convey as is.
- Some windows are in need of repair, as are garage doors – will convey as is.
- Chimney to dining room fireplace has been removed.
- Seller has not used any of the fireplaces.
- gutted basement, removing an old bathroom and old finished space, to allow for updating of electrical, plumbing, and systems, and potential to develop quality finished space in the future
- updated drain piping from cast iron to PVC
- raised and re-configured old radiator piping
- maintained 3 zone heating concept
- installed new furnace (Lochinvar 95% efficiency rating)
- installed new indirect hot water tank (Squire 120 gallon)
- installed new sewage pipe under basement floor to connect to sewage outside of house
- removed knob and tube, updated electrical and lighting
- installed new basement door for walkout to yard
- removed asbestos insulation from radiator pipes (two small pieces remaining will be removed prior to closing)
- refinished wood floors, stair banister and newel post
- removed/disconnected knob and tube
- installed new light fixtures in entry hall and dining room
- installed new outlets in living and dining room
- removed wall paper, refinished drywall, painted
- installed new faucets in kitchen
- installed new Insinkerator disposal in butler prep sink
- complete gut renovation of bathroom
- installed AC (air handler located in 3rd floor)
- took out chimney from dining room fireplace
- removed butlers staircase to third floor
- installed hallway closet and built in bookshelf in 4th bedroom
- refinished wood floors
- removed/disconnected knob and tube
- installed new outlets in bed rooms
- installed ceiling fans in three bedrooms and sitting area
- removed wall paper, refinished drywall, painted
- gutted down to the studs
- removed/disconnected active knob and tube
- installed new circuit breaker box for 2nd and 3rd floor
- new spray foam insulation
- installed air handler for AC 2nd floor and HVAC for 3rd floor
- prepared water and sewage for 3rd floor bathroom and laundry room
- salvaged wood flooring for future use – will convey w/property
- completely replaced main house and garage roof with ENGLERT aluminum standing seam IR reflective roof
- main house roof was completely decked with new plywood sheathing
- replaced rubber roof on porch – potential of installing roof deck balcony in the future
- new gutters installed on porch roof and garage driveway side
- custom built raised beds
- installed irrigation system for flower and raised beds
- re-designed plantings in patio area
- installed hammock pole
- extensive pruning and some tree removal completed in 2017
- replaced roof with ENGLERT aluminum standing seam IR reflective roof
Laura Segal is a highly respected Realtor in the Cambridge office of Gibson Sotheby’s International Realty. Laura’s strong knowledge of local communities, broad experience with both Buyers and Sellers, and seasoned design expertise, combine to create a rich, personalized journey for her clients.
A licensed architect, Laura blends her knowledge of the structure and style of houses, with her practiced eye, advising on the best use of interior and exterior spaces. Her skills serve Sellers with property preparation and staging, as well as Buyers, for whom Laura highlights design potential and delivers quick property assessments, critical in this fast-paced market. And for those who are new to the area, Laura acts as a guide to New England vernacular architecture.
A graduate of Skidmore College and Harvard University’s Graduate School of Design, Laura has practiced architecture in the Northeast and Midwest. Also an accomplished artist, Laura’s paintings are included in private and corporate collections throughout the United States. Beyond her aesthetic strengths and rigorous work ethic, clients are drawn to Laura’s warmth, authenticity and perceptive nature, as she helps navigate the buying/selling process.
Laura resides in the diverse and vibrant community of Watertown, where she is an active member of the arts community. In true New England form, Laura and her husband can often be found cheering on their kids at the ice rink or soccer field, or walking their dog along the Charles River.
Contact Laura Segal
1008 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02138
In 1962, Betty Gibson, a woman with a pioneering spirit and great vision, founded our company in Boston’s South End. Betty took great pride in championing not only the South End but the growth of Boston as a whole. Today we are Boston’s largest independently owned and operated real estate firm made up by eight offices and a team of approximately 170 dedicated sales professionals.
Our agents bring a wealth of life experiences to real estate. We’ve been teachers, marketers, art historians, musicians, actors, world travelers – and chefs. This diverse and knowledgeable group has one thing in common, years of experience both living and working in the Greater Boston area and are guaranteed to provide white glove services that are second to none.
Gibson Sotheby’s International Realty is set apart by an in-house Marketing Department. Led by a Marketing Director, our marketing team consists of a Photographer, Graphic Designer, Online Media Associate, and Copywriter. Each are dedicated in assisting our agents with creating the highest quality materials for each home.
Whether you are looking at home or abroad, Gibson Sotheby’s International Realty is the finest choice for buying, selling or renting a home. With numerous accreditations and languages spoken we invite you to contact any one of our highly skilled agents to show you the Gibson Sotheby’s International Realty difference.
About Sotheby’s International Realty
The Sotheby’s Auction House was founded in 1744 and since has earned the Sotheby’s name renown as a marketer of the world’s most valuable and prestigious possessions. In 1976 to provide independent brokerages with a powerful marketing and referral program for luxury listings, the Sotheby’s International Realty network was founded.
This Sotheby’s International Realty network is now made up of more than 19,000 sales associates in approximately 835 offices in 63 countries and territories worldwide.
The Sotheby’s International Realty brand takes great pride in presenting to the world unique places and their stories, and in using our innovative marketing tools, global network and relationships with discerning buyers to perfectly match time-honored properties with those who will appreciate them and give them new life. Through this extraordinary network our agents have access to some of the most qualified buyers in the world.